How to Convert Binary to Decimal and Decimal to Binary
The binary numbering system is used in computer systems or electronic devices for storage, transfer and manipulation of data, It. is a method of mathematical expression that uses only two symbols: typically “0” and “1”. The base-2 numeral system is a positional notation with a radix of 2. Each digit is referred to as a bit or binary digit.
Most Significant Bit (MSB) and Least Significant Bit (LSB)
For a binary number, the most significant bit (MSB) is the digit furthermost to the left of the number and the least significant bit (LSB) is the rightmost digit.
Convert from Decimal to Binary
If you do not have any access to a calculator, the residual method can be used to convert a decimal number into binary. This involves iteratively dividing the number by 2 till you get to 0 while taking note of each remainder.
- Write down the decimal numbers.
- Continually divide decimal numbers by 2 until the final result equals zero.
- Keep noting the remainder on the right hand side, this will be either a “1” or a “0”
- The binary result is achieved by arranging all the remainders in order, with the least significant bit (LSB) at the top and the most significant bit (MSB) at the bottom.
THE FOLLOWING IMAGE IS THE PRACTICAL OF CONVERTING DECIMAL 183 INTO BINARY.
IN THE EXAMPLE ABOVE WE LEARNT HOW TO CONVERT DECIMAL 183 INTO BINARY, WE LEARNT THAT DECIMAL 183 = 10110111
Convert Binary to Decimal
Converting from binary to decimal involves multiplying the value of each digit (i.e. 1 or 0) by the value of the placeholder in the number
- Write down the number.
- Starting with the LSB, multiply the digit by the value of the place holder.
- Continue doing this until you reach the MSB.
- Add the results together.
Some Basic Problems/Questions:
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Convert 128 into binary?
- What is 100101100 in decimal?
If you could calculate the correct answer then comment on this post and let others know, You’re a genius.